Side note - My Great Grandma Lane died this morning around 4am. She would be 100 in February. As my dad said, it's bittersweet. It wasn't a pleasant existence for the past while with her body failing her. She was a strong Christian, so she is now with Jesus, and depending on your theological views, my Great Grandpa Lane, her sister Ruth, her brother Ralph, my dad's brother who died in infancy, David, etc... That is sweet. But she was the matriarch of our family and will be missed. The visitation will likely be Monday at 4pm and the funeral Wednesday.
So, am I 70 years old? No, I'm 26, but with all of the different doctors I've been seeing and all of my appointments and hospital trips taken and to be taken, I feel like I am. The only people who have really been filled in about my medical issues are Joel, my mom, Renee, and probably my dad, Rachel, and Gma Phelps from my mom. Some of my coworkers and friends have been getting concerned not knowing what's going on, so I'll fill you in. I've never had real surgery before, and 1 of these is minor, but I will be having 3 outpatient surgeries in the near future. If you're into medical stuff, this will interest you. If not, you may want to scan. Joel thinks "people don't need links and all the details," but all of my peeps do. We like to be educated and we care, so bla-dow! And please pray for all of these things. These are big deals to me, since I've had little experience in these arenas. I'm a calm person, but I'm sure I'll be anxious as the dates approach for surgery 1 and 2. Thanks!
1. Pilonidal Cyst
According to 1 doctor, I've had this since birth, but according to Mayo Clinic, they can develop later. I was swinging upside down in the weight room at West my sophomore year of high school, and swung too much in one direction and flipped around and fell on my tailbone (we had a sub obviously). I could barely move that evening or the next day. We went to the doctor thinking I had bruised my tailbone, when in fact I had aggravated my pilonidal cyst. That doctor should have recommended surgery at the time, but he didn't. You can get antibiotics for treatment to get rid of the infection, but if you wait too long, the cyst needs to be cut open and drained. This didn't happen again until I was married. It won't ever go away, and it gets irritated if I do sit-ups, pilates, or just sit in a hard chair for a long time. This Friday (1/18) I will have surgery where I will be put under, cut down to the tailbone to remove the cyst, and the different layers of skin will be stitched up and superglued. I've never had anesthesia before, except my epidural, which is different. I will obviously be in a lot of pain and not very mobile for many days. I'll be off the next week of school. Luckily I stand most of the day for my job.
More information here: http://mayoclinic.com/health/pilonidal-cyst/DS00747/DSECTION=1
2. Thyroglossal Duct Cyst
The last week of school in December, I had an upper respiratory infection. I finally went to the doctor because it had lasted a week, and I noticed a ball sticking out of my neck. My neck muscle had been sore several days that week, so I thought it was strange and unrelated to my sickness. It was. The Prompt Care doctor told me I had a thyroglossal duct cyst, which is a cyst on my thyroid. I went to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor about it this week. He confirmed it, and I had a contrast CAT scan yesterday at the hospital, where they give you an IV and inject iodine dye. That was my second IV ever. As it enters the bloodstream, it makes you feel warm all over and as it enters the nether region, it's kind of like you're peeing your pants. The scan was mildly freaky. I will meet with my ENT Dr. 1/24 to discuss the results, but it will have to be removed.
The thyroid actually develops at the base of the tongue. It travels down the throat to where it ends up at the top of throat. For this surgery, I will be put under and cut where the chin meets the throat. They will cut out the cyst, any thyroid tissue along the neck, and a portion of the hyoid bone, because this cuts down on recurrences of the cyst. I don't know about recup time or anything yet because surgery hasn't been scheduled.
http://www.pediatric-ent.com/learning/surgeries/neck_masses_removal.htm
3. Granuloma
This is the red bump behind my ear that developed during pregnancy. It's basically a blood vessel that started growing outside of the skin because cells are so prolific during pregnancy. I got it cut off and cauterized twice, and it grew back a 3rd time even though "98% of them don't grow back." My doctor will cut it off a little deeper in the skin and stitch it up. I'll have a little scar, but it's behind my ear.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
i've had two things similar to what you are talking about. in college, i had a parathyroid removed, so my scar is at the base of my neck rather than the top. It sounds similar in terms of the surgery, and let me tell you, i recovered wonderfully from that surgery. I was driving out of state 2 days later.
I had a HUGE oral granuloma during pregnancy. this was much more painful but lasted only a day or two, and i was fine. I know it's scary, but these are relatively minor surgeries, and while there are of course always risks, they are truly low for a young healthy woman like yourself.
Post a Comment