This course has caused me to think about so much. As a big picture person, I've thought about creating my online course, Exploratory French, and how to make it feasible for middle school students. I've thought about next year, when I'll be transitioning to teaching high school French I and II part-time and only 1 middle school French I class. Since I have never taught French II, I will have to either add to my current school website (http://www.unit5.org/pabst), or I've wondered if I should just start with a wiki. One of our assignments was to review webcasts. Those really got me thinking more than I already do about our global society and how online teaching and learning opens up so many doors. Learning a little about the Chicago Virtual Charter School opened my eyes to what is already happening in education that I don't know about, even in my own state. I really wonder what to extent technology will play a role in teaching and learning in the next 5 to 10 years. I have 25+ years left, so it'll affect me for sure!
Along with gaining awareness, I am becoming much more familiar with and proficient in wikispaces. Until I had the scope and sequence planned out for my course, it was hard for me to really start building my course wiki. Since my course is geared for 6th and 7th graders, I was forced to create even better instructions for my assignments with very clear technology instructions. The technological skills of my middle schoolers varies greatly, especially in 6th grade. I have students who don't know how to turn the monitor on all the way to students who can trouble shoot most computer issues. My students will have to be more independent learners with this online class. They will have questions, and instead of relying on me for everything, which many do, they will have to rely on each other and search out more information on our class wiki and/or the Internet. I think this will be great for fostering their overall independence.
I had at least heard of most of the web 2.o tools we are using in C&I 438. Most of all, I wanted to know how to create and use a wiki and how to do more than open a document on GoogleDocs, because I see both of these being used more and more in education and socially. Having just created a presentation on GoogleDocs, which is NOT the same as just creating a PowerPoint or SMART Board presentation, I am feeling more confident with GoogleDocs. Now that I have my entire course planned out and almost all activities created, I am really building my online course, making me even better at wikispaces. I would still love to explore more of the web 2.0 tools that are out there. When I searched them, I was amazed at all of the resources that are right there that I don't think many teachers know about or are using.
I will definitely keep the benefits of technology at the forefront of my mind after this course ends. I will continue to reflect on, research, and experiment with using different web 2.0 tools in and out of my classroom. I am excited about this, because technology engages my students and brings the language and cultures we are learning about to life.
Along with gaining awareness, I am becoming much more familiar with and proficient in wikispaces. Until I had the scope and sequence planned out for my course, it was hard for me to really start building my course wiki. Since my course is geared for 6th and 7th graders, I was forced to create even better instructions for my assignments with very clear technology instructions. The technological skills of my middle schoolers varies greatly, especially in 6th grade. I have students who don't know how to turn the monitor on all the way to students who can trouble shoot most computer issues. My students will have to be more independent learners with this online class. They will have questions, and instead of relying on me for everything, which many do, they will have to rely on each other and search out more information on our class wiki and/or the Internet. I think this will be great for fostering their overall independence.
I had at least heard of most of the web 2.o tools we are using in C&I 438. Most of all, I wanted to know how to create and use a wiki and how to do more than open a document on GoogleDocs, because I see both of these being used more and more in education and socially. Having just created a presentation on GoogleDocs, which is NOT the same as just creating a PowerPoint or SMART Board presentation, I am feeling more confident with GoogleDocs. Now that I have my entire course planned out and almost all activities created, I am really building my online course, making me even better at wikispaces. I would still love to explore more of the web 2.0 tools that are out there. When I searched them, I was amazed at all of the resources that are right there that I don't think many teachers know about or are using.
I will definitely keep the benefits of technology at the forefront of my mind after this course ends. I will continue to reflect on, research, and experiment with using different web 2.0 tools in and out of my classroom. I am excited about this, because technology engages my students and brings the language and cultures we are learning about to life.



1 comment:
Rebecca,
You've raised some excellent questions and I have complete confidence that you'll have the answers way before you have to be ready for your students.
Dr. T
Post a Comment