Thursday, January 29, 2009

Enceinte de 27 semaines (27 Weeks Pregnant)


This week marks the end of the second trimester. Gabe weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his legs extended. At 27 weeks, his length will have tripled or even quadrupled from the 12-week mark. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. His lungs, liver and immune system are continuing to mature — and he has been growing like a weed. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. If he were born this week, the chance of survival is at least 85 percent. However, serious complications are still possible. Tiny, rhythmic movements I may be feeling are baby hiccups, which may be common from now on.

So last week was "interesting," due to the fact that Joel, Stella, and I all had the stomach flu. Stella's actually not well yet. I had the flu once in 5th grade. I haven't thrown up from sickness since 5th grade. I threw up twice in my first pregnancy; once from an 11-hr train ride to Nice and once from prenatal vitamins - that's it. We are not pukers in my family. So, I didn't actually attend the last day of my maternity leave. While it did complicate some grading and grade-entering, I'm not really sad about it. I finally have things pretty well wrapped up with that, which is nice. I have to make 1 more run to give back graded papers and turn in keys.

I have been SO uncomfortable today. I feel like Gabe is just taking up every last inch of my stomach. I don't know if there's a growth spurt or bloating or what, but I'm just not happy about it. Maybe things are stretching out and will feel better soon. Joel and I attended a young professionals banquet tonight, which is part of the Chamber of Commerce here in Manitowoc. Joel has met a lot of people through this group, and I finally was able to really meet some of them tonight. I'm really excited about the last couple we met. Joel introduced me to the guy b/c they're actually having lunch tomorrow. They lived in the Chicago burbs and then Lake Geneva, so they're not home-grown, meaning they have similar perspectives. They go to the church that planted our church and have a 2 y/o girl and 4 y/o boy. They said that we should all definitely hang out, and we got another dinner invite from another couple we sat with. I was just really excited. While I get along with people easily, I would say that I'm super picky about who I really let in and trust and see as a kindred spirit. I feel like God finally said, "Okay. You're being faithful. Here's some hope and light for you," which is a tremendous thing, especially if you read last week's post:) I guess it's hard for people to live up to the trust I have in people like: Renee, Sonya, Annalea, Carolyn, etc...and that Joel has in people like: Tyler, Jesse, Jason, etc...They're just quality as were all the friends we had in BN that we had known for so long. You know who you are! Just know all of you how much we think of you and appreciate you all of the time.

My dad turns 51 Sunday and is having a bday/Superbowl party. That should be fun. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAPPY!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Tell Stella she can paint me a picture if she wants! You look great. Did you get your hair done again? It looks much more colorful than I remember it.