I'm now 1 wk into the second trimester. Our little one is currently between 3.2 to 4.5 inches (from crown to rump) and weighs in at around .9 ounces.
Our baby's face is becoming more distinguishable as its eyes move closer together and its ears move closer to their final positions. It's also growing soft baby hair all over its body, which is thought to help anchor developing skin, as well as forming hair on his eyebrows and scalp. He/she may hiccup too, even though its lungs are filled with fluid, not air. The baby's eyelids are fused together to protect his or her developing eyes. Tissue that will become bone is developing around the baby's head and within the arms and legs. Tiny ribs may soon appear.
I can't feel it yet, but the baby can move in a jerky fashion — flexing the arms and kicking the legs. This week, the baby might even be able to put a thumb in his or her mouth.
The effect of hormones becomes apparent this week. For boys, the prostate gland is developing. For girls, the ovaries move from the abdomen into the pelvis. Meconium — which will become the baby's first bowel movement after birth — is made in the baby's intestinal tract. By the end of the week, the roof of the baby's mouth will be completely formed.I had a dream last night that we were at the hospital because I was in labor. Joel and I were sleeping, and I woke up with the doctor there telling me to push. She said it would only take a couple pushes to get the baby out b/c it had drifted so much while I was sleeping. Joel remained asleep while I got the baby out in a couple pushes. It was another girl. I was really surprised. Joel and I have a girl first name and are almost certain of the middle name, so in my dream I thought, "Crap. We have to finalize that middle name." We've had the boy name since way before I was pregnant with Stella. My family and a couple close friends know our girl name, and I'm not one of those, "let's keep it a secret b/c someone will steal it kind of people," so once we know the sex, I'll tell you the name. We have our next appt next week 11/6, and the next one will be an ultrasound at the hospital in the first couple wks of December where we'll hopefully determine the sex. Joel and I usually unconsciously refer to the baby as he, even though we don't necessarily feel that it's a boy. We both kind of think, "Well, maybe..." We don't want to get our hopes up. I'll feel sad for Joel for a second, but then I'll start falling more in love with my little girl, as will he. Everyone says this, but I really can't imagine having a boy. I've never really dealt with boys aside from teaching them. I just think little girls are so beautiful and precious, and I love their femininity. I guess boys would be cute in other ways??? As my mom said, we like girls, but I do think I'll have a son one day.
School continues to get better and better as I get used to things and get to know my students and them me. I've had a couple boys test me and realize that Madame Pabst doesn't mess around. The French III's seem to be accepting their fate of having to work and that I'm a good teacher, and we are having fun. Some things are still just culture shock as far as blue collar vs. white collar attitudes. Living here has made me realize even more that I am white collar and am most comfortable in that environment. I need to be somewhere where I feel I belong. I still believe you are who you are no matter where you are, but now I see that where you are either helps you thrive or crushes your spirit. I can only say so much in this forum b/c I don't want to offend. Ask me for more details b/c you know I have more:)
Joel and I are starting to get prepared for our 11/15-11/22 trip to HAWAII!!! This is Joel's reward trip for completing his ChFC. Because he is no longer employed by State Farm Corporate, he shouldn't get to go. However, my dad is paying for us to go. Isn't that amazing??? We're extending the trip some to make the most of it. We're flying to Kauai for a few days and will then be in Honolulu, Oahu for the remainder. I've been there before and to Maui and Lanai, but never to Kauai. We're actually staying at the same hotel in Honolulu, the Hilton Hawaiian, where we stayed when I was a freshman in high school. It's an amazing location on Waikiki Beach. Joel and I are hoping to take some great tours on both islands. I'm sure we'll bask in the sun a little, but I'm not into skin damage, I'm at a slightly awkward-looking stage of pregnancy, and Joel isn't a sun-worshiper to begin with, especially with his current paleness. Unfortunately I won't be able to do things I would otherwise love to do: para sailing, surfing, etc... I think I'll be sporting a lot of stretchy skirts and sundresses there since none of my capris/shorts will likely fit. I'm going to raid my little sister's closet and probably borrow a tankini. I don't think my bikini's will look quite right with the current belly status. Unfortunately, we will miss my mom's 50th bday 11/16. We took a 13 wk pic last week and will continue to take them to show belly progress...




3 comments:
Becca,
One of these days we will connect!!! I agree about the flourishing/crushing abilities of location/breed of people. Not that one is better than the other (people, I mean), but I'll feel a lot better when I feel like we're where we need to be AND we feel like it's a good fit. I want the tension of not getting too comfortable, but still having a family of friends around. Here it feels like we (Craig & I) just have one friend each (thankfully they're married, too, so we get to hang out a little more), but I have a hard time being content with that. Lots of thoughts keep racing in this crowded brain of mine, but I've got to go for now. If you ever get a spare moment (I know they're few and far between-or at least mine are), give me a call, my cell phone is on all the time, unless the battery's dead, but I'm trying not to let it get to that point...anyway, I'd love to chat!
love,
Audrey
do you feel like your body is reacting differently to this pregnancy than the last. you look fantastic in the photo - not that you didn't with stella, i just remember you seeing changes all over - but in this photo you look pretty much like normal but with a little belly. just wondering. love ya!
I do think it's reacting differently, but I don't know whether that is because it's my second pregnancy or possibly that it's a boy. I've felt worse this pregnancy. My stomach pooched and my sides seemed to widen immediately. I think it helps that I was consistently working out. I haven't worked out in a few weeks since I started the maternity leave, but I can already tell, so I'm going to try to go at least 3 times a week to maintain tone/endurance, and it'll just help me feel better during and after the pregnancy. I know you carried differently with Luca and Gia, but did you feel different? Do you feel different this time?
Post a Comment