Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Le premier rendez-vous (The First Appointment)
Joel and I had our first Dr's appt for the new baby. I guess I'm actually due May 3, according to my 28-day cycle. She said since I had Stella at 38 weeks, I'll probably deliver this baby at 37-38 weeks. We were able to hear the heartbeat at 164 bmp, which is a higher, good number. Dr. Garvin-Cress reminded us that it is a wives' tail that a higher heart rate means girl. My uterus was where it should be. The past few days I have looked pregnant. Maybe not to an outsider, but my family noticed for sure. I also noticed that my midsection looks wider. My pants are snug and wearing most of them just isn't flattering/comfortable because they push things where they needn't be. My doctor said that this is completely normal, I look great, and at this point, most second-time moms are getting out the maternity clothes. We discussed the different degrees of genetic abnormalities testing and decided we're not going to do the early blood tests. There is a 5% false positive occurrence. She said that she'll be able to see spinal issues at the 20-week ultrasound, and only 50% of Downs babies are even detected because often they look completely normal on ultrasound. We only want testing done that will affect my prenatal care and/or delivery. A spinal issue would call for a c-section, etc... It was a great appointment. It made us both excited to experience the growth of this baby. My next appt is 11/6.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I'm not even going to get my hopes up that she will be born on my birthday. Jamie was so close and then my friend Michelle was, too. Whatever happens, happens...maybe she'll be born on your birthday...
Post a Comment